12 November 2011

Stampendous Saturday: Jewel Technique Treasure Hop

Welcome to the Stampendous Fran•tage Encrusted Jewel Hop!  All of the Stampendous Design Team members are sooo excited about this new technique...an accidental creative process discovered by our own Fran Seiford, Chief Artistic Officer at Stampendous.  Ready to see what I created for this fun hop?  Warning: this post is loooong, and I've included some instructional videos. So be sure to scroll through the whole thing to see the prizes up for grabs for this hop, a complete list of supplies (and links to them) and to see the full list of participants in the hop!  Grab a cup of coffee or tea (and some chocolate) and get comfy :)

I combined my blog hop project with this month's Stampendous Challenge, which is to use some of that chipboard we've all got in our stash.  Have you checked out the details for this month's challenge?  I encourage you to play along (I'm sure you've got some chipboard just waiting to be used!); the challenge runs all month long.  


I started by painting my huge chipboard flourish with some acrylic paint.  Then I stamped the flourish from the Cling Jumbo Tulip randomly in gold ink; while the ink was still wet I sprinkled some Aged Gold Embossing Enamel in random places and heat set it.  I sponged some ink on there, and spritzed a little Sheer Shimmer Spritz in Gold as well (none of my pictures really do justice to how shimmery it turned out).  Next I covered the whole flourish with Versamark ink and Deep Impressions embossing powder.  Working in small sections, I heated the powder until it began to melt, and then pressed some Tea Stained Mica Fragments and Mahogany Jewel Glitter into it (I mixed a small pile of the Deep Impression powder, the mica fragments, and the glitter, and picked up pinches of them to drop onto my flourish as it heated).  Normally, I'd just sprinkle all of the products onto my paper and heat from underneath, as Fran demonstrated in the video I've linked below, but chipboard is too thick to heat from below and everything would just blow away (ask me how I know this!!). 


I did the regular sprinkle-where-I wanted-it technique on my patterned paper, in the upper left corner.  In the lower left corner, I stamped the flourish image from the Cling Jumbo Romantic Border in gold ink, and partially embossed it with Aged Gold Embossing Enamel.  I sponged all over my patterned paper, and gave it some texture by wrinkling it up with my hands.


For more info on the process of Encrusting with the Fran•tage Essentials, be sure to check out Fran's YouTube video on the Encrusted Jewel Technique.
There's another great one too, Fran•táge 101, that is super helpful.

And now, here is the whole list of our eye candy for today:


As you hop from blog to blog, oohing and aahing over the Encrusted Jewel fabulousness, be sure to leave some love (and your contact email) for the designers, as well as on the Stampendous blog. The more you comment, the better your chances are to win one of these four fabulous prize packages, full of Stampendous Fran•tage Essentials for you to create your own Encrusted Jewel goodness  Take a look at the prizes up for grabs:
Aged Black Prize Package
Aged Silver Prize Package
Aged Gold Prize Package
Shabby White Prize Package
Winners will be randomly selected from all comments left on blogs, so the more you comment the better your chances are to win one!!  You have until Sunday, November 13th at 8:00 PM EST to leave a comment on each blog; winners will be announced on Monday, November 14th. Due to shipping restrictions, all winners must have a US/APO/FPO mailing address. 

Supplies:
Stamps: Postcard Pair,  Old World Greetings, Jumbo Tulip, Jumbo Romantic Border (Stampendous)
Card Stock: Candlelight, Saltillo (Bazzill)
Patterned Paper: Graphic 45
Ink: Rich Cocoa (Memento), Antique Linen, Brushed Corduroy, Tea Stain, Walnut Stain (Ranger); Gold (Encore); Versamark
Accessories: Aged Gold Embossing Enamel, Tea Stained Mica Fragments, Mahogany Jewel Glitter, Deep Impression Clear Embossing Powder (all by Stampendous); Gold Sheer Shimmer Spritz (Tsukineko); Cream Acrylic Paint (Apple Barrel); large chipboard flourish (unknown manufacturer); 
Tools: heat gun (Martha Stewart)

32 comments:

Patti J said...

Oh, Taylor, this is fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

mamagilliam at gmail dot com

Miriam Prantner said...

Love the aged/distressed look of this! Thanks for sharing!

craftymom205 said...

Great aged look. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

craftymom205 at yahoo dot com

Liz Terrazas said...

i love the vintage look of the cards.. I am def going to try this..

Renkata said...

Fantastic vintage card.

Indy said...

This, as usual, is spectacular work! I love the vintage feel with the jeweled bling!
indyowens at yahoo dot com

Angela said...

Beautifully done...thanks for going through the process step by step...that was helpful!

Lynn Mercurio said...

Outstanding, Taylor...and to think that yesterday at this time, it was only a thought in your head. AMAZING!

Tenia Nelson said...

Awesome Miss Taylor!!!! Love this awesome creation!!!!

Suzanne C said...

Fabulous rich colors! The encrusting looks wonderful on your chipboard accent. Lovely Frantage card!

Lisa Somerville said...

Lovely vintage card!

wendyp said...

absolutely gorgeous!!! Loving the chipboard swirl!

Jan Marie said...

Love this technique and your card is just lovely!

Clare G said...

I am in love with the encrusted jewel technique - sparkly is good! Love how you did the chipboard- it's fantastic!

StampendousGraphics said...

Terrific card, Taylor! Love your encrusted chipboard! What a beautiful addition to the creations for the blog hop. And nice to see you made something new, just for this day! Thanks!!

Pam Hornschu said...

This card is absolutely, positively, gorgeous! I love how random your Jewel Encrusting came out (despite the fact that you probably carefully placed each grain and flake!).

Maegan said...

Perfectly lovely!

silverxeno at yahoo dot com

Pam said...

Love this vintage looking card! This technique is fabulous!

Stampin' Meg said...

Looks like yummy jeweled spices!

AngelMegStamps@aol.com

Carol said...

Great project! I love the design!

Carol B
ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

Lillie said...

I really like this technique and your card and chipboard looks lovely! I can't wait to get my hands on these products.

Wendy said...

THIS IS AN AMAZING card my friend!!! Thank you for the kind email today!! I will get back with you on Monday!! I am a blessed girl to have you in my life!!!

Nelda said...

This technique and your aged, vintage look are fabulous. Nelda

LynB said...

I have that cling set and love the Dickens feel of it and you created a lovely card! paperL.petunia@gmail.com

Ginny said...

Thank you for sharing the videos. It looks like even more fun than I imagined.

Sue D said...

Fabulous and thanks for the tips on how to do this on chipboard.
slrdowney at hotmail dot com

littlen said...

very pretty. i'm sure the shimmer is much prettier in person than the pictures show. thanks for the video.
littlen44 at gmail dot com

Scrappychick said...

so very cool!! i love how you did the chipboard piece and explained it, ive had a terrible time with encrusting chipboard!!

reeree62 said...

Beautiful!!! Very sparkly...
reeree62@aol dotcom

Barb's Boys Inspired said...

Love vintage! Such a sweet image, and I love the way you stamped your chipboard flourish!

Thanks for the chance to win some of this new product!
Barb Turpin
b_turpin@comcast.net
barbsboys123.blogspot.com

Steph Lee (Arty Carty) said...

Very nice vintage look to the card and that stamp is just perfect! xxx Steph

Lillian Child said...

Absolutely stunning, Taylor! This technique goes hand in hand with vintage creativity! And thanks for the 2nd video link - it was VERY helpful!